Sunday, December 6, 2009

One of God's Little Creatures Lives Under Our House

Last night we had our first snow. I injured my leg so this time Vickie had snow duty.


One of God's little creatures crawled out from the basement of the house next door, walked under our back stairs and over to the barn, and back again and left a really interesting trail. Can anyone guess what it is? We've seen an animal that looks sort of like a big gopher or beaver but with a small tail and big back haunches. I've thought it was a marmot, but the local residents don't think we have marmots around here, and the New Hampshire wildlife website doesn't mention them. Do these tracks identify this fellow? Click the images for a better look.

This photo shows that porcupine tracks in the snow look pretty much like this, so maybe that's what it is: http://tinyurl.com/porcupine-tracks











This is a photo of blueberry hill about 5 miles away:







First light snow on trees in our back yard

1 comment:

  1. Two of my dear sisters have made suggestions. One of them has very helpfully suggested that the tracks might be from a "wayward platypus" and the other added, "walking ass backwards."

    The other suggestion was that it's a woodchuck, and I'm pretty sure that's right.
    http://www.northrup.org/photos/woodchuck/
    Plus, this shows that I'm right--it's a marmot. My neighbors scrunch up their eyebrows when I say, "I think we have a marmot," and they say, "Maybe a woodchuck." Turns out that a woodchuck *is* a marmot. Well, there ya go.

    ReplyDelete